Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I survived the first day back...

... but can this new semester end now? PLEASE?!


Let's start with me being a dumbass. For some reason, I thought I needed to take a few more English classes... no. Apparently, I only need 1 more. I registered for two English classes. I thought I had to take 48B because I took 48A last semester... no. I already took a consecutive A and B pairing, the final 6 units worth of English classes are fair game... a free for all. Yeah, I realized this last night. Why didn't I realize this while I was registering for classes 2 months ago? Ha! One of the two English instructors had emailed us saying that the syllabus was already posted on blackboard... I read the syllabus last night... no. NO! I immediately facebooked my friend and told her "shoot me now. I do not want to take this class. I do not." THAT'S when I realized that I only had to take 1 English class (I re-read the degree criteria sheet). 

I told my friend this morning about my predicament. The same applied to her. After reading that horrendous syllabus for the first English class, we semi-decided that THAT class would probably be the one that we'd drop. But we still went to check it out... and we decided that we'd pick the lesser of the two evils.

9:30am. Class time. There were about 7 or so people from our previous 48A class and a few people that were in our previous English classes. Bettman and "click, click, click girl" were among the 7. Nice. Not. Actually, Bettman was about 20 minutes or so late? Typical. The instructor soooo called him out. Anyway, the instructor had the personality of a sponge. She was nice (enough)... but she was dry. Boring. She wasn't someone that we could deal with for 18 weeks. Although, she did mention "Smoke on the Water"... riff and all. That gave her some plus points. But no. Just, no. Ashley and I both kept looking at each other like, "this is the one we are dropping. Totally." I mean, there was almost NO WAY that our second class was going to be worse than this one. Well, unless Ewing was teaching it... but that's a whole other nightmare. A girl that Ashley knows, told us that Good (our next instructor) wasn't going to be teaching the class, and that they were trying to find someone else to teach it. I thought the girl said he was terminally ill... Ashley thought she said he was about to be terminated (or had been terminated)... interesting... off to the next class we went. There's a 15 minute gap in between the classes, but we were let out early... so we had some time to kill.

We walked upstairs and froze our butts off. Well, I froze my butt off... not sure about her. Ha! I like to people watch, so I watched the people walk by down below. I spotted at least 4 people from last semester amongst the crowd. I have good eyes. "Puppy love"... Ashley's "army boy" (haha!)... aaaand Sir Cuteness (yeah, one of the dudes from some of my previous posts). I saw him walking towards the English building but I had no clue he was going to walk up the stairs. That was a pleasant surprise! Very pleasant! Those eyes and that smile. Ugh! I played it cool, though... didn't I, Ashley??? Haaaa! He's an interesting dude, though. He walked through the hallway of classes, checked the numbers on the doors, and walked out the other side. Then about 5 minutes later he walked back through the hallway of classes, and took a second look at our classroom's door. We were almost convinced that he was going to be in our World Lit class... but that's not the case. He's in a class close to that, apparently. But yeah, he stood a couple feet away, parallel to us, for about 5 minutes or so? Maybe a tad more. That was good enough. Heehee!

11am. Class time. Weird classroom. Smaller than what our usual rooms have been... we face the door this time... and the windows are behind us. Less seats, too... which is good. The roster wasn't full, but I'd say there were about 20 or so people in there? There were about 6 empty seats. Mr. Good is the instructor... we soon came to the conclusion that "terminated" is not what that lady said. Hopefully the guy makes it through the semester. He actually HAS personality... he has character. I got the feeling that he genuinely loves English and loves teaching it. He's funny... and sarcastic... and he gets the passing grade. I don't know how many times we looked over at each other and said, "This one, definitely!", "You wanna keep this one?", "You wanna drop the other one?" This class just seems more interesting... and this instructor just seems more passionate about what he's teaching. We don't know anyone in this class (well, I've had one of the girls in a previous class, but I don't know her.) And best of all... NO BETTMAN!! Free at last. So yeah, this one's a keeper!

I went home for lunch but had to head back for math at 3 o'clock. Bleh. Too many distractions in that class, and I totally liked my previous math class way better. My instructors name is Mrs. Rhodes... I knew that would be a distraction, because I knew I would constantly think of Nick Rhodes (of Duran Duran) and probably hear some Duran Duran tunes in my head throughout the duration of the class. Which I did. But it gets better. Roll call. "Stephanie... Stephanie Duran?" Ha! Nice. I have a Rhodes for an instructor and a Duran as a classmate. I'm tellin' ya, there's never a dull moment.

So yeah, the day started off a little crappy (I hate January 8th). I hate it because Steve Clark (Def Leppard) passed away on this day, back in 1991. I woke up with an upset stomach and a burning left eye (apparently, January 8th hates me too). But on a lighter note, It's David Bowie's birthday! He turned 66 today AND he released a new single!! NEW BOWIE MUSIC!! It only took a decade... but heck to the YES!! Bowie is a beast. My morning/day got way better around 10:45am ;) Math made my head hurt... but at least I understood it. I had a Dr. Pepper for dinner... all is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment