Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cause we all have wings...


I'm wearing my INXS shirt today. It's November 21st here in America, but it's November 22nd in Australia. Michael Hutchence died sometime in the A.M. (somewhere between 7am and 11:50am) on November 22nd, 1997 (Australian time)... which still would've been November 21st our time. Make sense? Yes? No? Kinda? Well, we're in the same boat... because sometimes, this confuses me too. I start the honoring/remembering (whatever you prefer to call it) on the 21st... and it lasts for two days. This year, Thanksgiving "turkey day" lands on November 22nd, so I have to write this blog (and the other one for my music blog) today instead, and do all of the core festivities today. I'll try to do as much as I can tomorrow... but we'll see how that goes.

I'm not a big fan of Nov 21-22. Not at all. I dread this every year. It feels like I've been kicked in the stomach. For the entire two days.

It's the same tradition every year: wear an INXS shirt, listen to INXS for the majority of the two days, watch their DVD of videos, and watch their "Live Baby Live" concert. Yeah, I take this very seriously. As much as I hate this day and the 22nd, it's all about keeping Hutch's memory and spirit alive, as well as his legacy. Just because he's gone, he shouldn't be forgotten. Now, I do all of this stuff year around, but on these dates, it is a must.


I rarely ever talk about any of this publicly. If I do talk about this, it's either in the privacy of my own house or to fellow INXS fans. Very few people I know understand the admiration or the fascination I have for Michael Hutchence. Other people just don't get it. They might share the same love/fascination, but it's for some other figure. People ask me, "why do you care so much? Why him?" Answer? I just do. I don't even think I can fully articulate it. At least not in the way I'd like to. So, to sum it all up, I just do. I didn't know him, I never met the guy, and I've never seen him perform live in the flesh, but he is of great significance to me. And will always be. 
He was just special. Unique. His voice... his songwriting (the Andrew Farriss/Michael Hutchence songwriting duo is my 2nd favorite btw, right behind Lennon/McCartney), his personality... the adorably mysterious thing he had going... the sexy yet sweet charm... his sensuality, and the way he moved. Just, everything. He was truly one of a kind. There was a constant comparison to Jim Morrison and Mick Jagger... and I can see that. But any comparison is a minor one... he wasn't either of them, he was just Hutch. 
And he was an Aquarius. I'm an Aquarius... and it just so happens that the majority of the famous people I like are Aquarians. Purely coincidental. I swear. I don't know if it has anything to do with relating to their quirky personalities or attitudes... but I find myself saying "I so totally do that." Or "That is so me!" I found myself saying or muttering that a lot after reading the INXS Autogbiography "Story to Story" a few years back. He's my Aquarian brother! 


I don't know, but I just love him. He's gone, but he will always fascinate me. He was just so cool. Too cool.  


He died in the most shitty way. That is not the way to go out. I don't even want to talk about how he died... if you're reading this and don't know how he died, you'll have to google it. The hours leading up to his death are almost heartbreaking. I know his death was ruled as a suicide... but I don't believe he had the intention of killing himself. He might have; he could've done it without any proper thought. A spur of the moment type of thing (the only one who will ever know that is Michael). Bob Geldof did drive him over the edge... but Michael loved his daughter, Tiger Lily. He loved that little girl... so, so, much... she was his world. To want to leave her permanently just makes no sense. Yes, I'm one of the kooks who still believe he died from autoerotic asphyxiation... that just makes more sense...


Enough of that, though. Let's jam and honor his greatness.

  
Rest In Peace, Hutch