Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Only this and nothing more..."

Day 2 of watching "The Raven" in class this morning... we should be finished with it on Friday. I like the movie so far... I do... but I thought it would be much better. I don't know why I thought it'd be better... but yeah, they could've done better. I think they could've been a little more creative. And for the most part, the acting is terrible. Terrible. I love John Cusack (I've pretty much covered that)... but I think he acted more like Robert Downey, Jr. rather than Edgar Allan Poe. Although, I have no clue how Edgar Allan Poe would've acted? I mean, I think Cusack is absolutely brilliant in this... but I don't know... something's lacking in the performance. But overall, so far, Cusack makes this movie. I even wrote that in my notes. Yeah, our instructor told us to take notes of things that 'stand out' or catches our eye. I took some good notes on Monday... but today? Not so much. Nothing stood out to me, other than I know who the killer is. Already. I also wrote the following in my notes: "John Cusack is a beast.", "John Cusack is too hot for his own good.", and "Without John Cusack, this movie would suck." I kid you not. My heart didn't beat rapidly after the stop button was pressed. The only thing my heart had to say was, "WTF?" I got up and left almost immediately.

But back to the killer. I had my suspicions early on in the movie. I'm good at solving these types of things. I pay attention to everything. Every little detail. It's the perks of being an English Major: critical thinking and critical analysis. Haha! I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't seen it (yet). I hate when people spoil stuff... but I really want to state my reasons for coming to this conclusion. I'll try without spoiling it too much. There is a certain character who you think should be an "extra" at first. There is no real significance to him throughout the majority of the movie. However, they give this "extra" (okay, minor character) a name. Once they gave him a name, I knew there had to be a reason for that. (There's more on the name, but I won't go into that.) Also, there was a moment (a good couple of seconds) where the camera focused on his hair and his eyes. They wanted the viewers to pay close attention to his hair and his eyes for a reason. All of this is intentional. What turned my suspicions into an actual conclusion were these 3 things: 1) When Emily's trapped in the box, there's a semi-wide slit between the boards (on the top)... you can see one of the killer's eyes. Going back to the previous statement about the hair and eyes... the eye looked familiar. 2) When it was discussed that Poe's column should be cut out of the paper, a certain individual instantly became butt-hurt and almost flipped his lid (I can't quote his actual statement, because that will spoil it). The killer is obviously a huge fan... or an obsessed fan of Poe's work... and this certain individual (who I still won't name) is pretty much the only person in the movie who gives a damn about Poe's work, enough to have that type of reaction. 3) When Emily finally breaks out of the box (oops, spoiler... but a predictable one), the killer holds her up, and you can see his hair. Again, I remembered the hair. I would tell you how many letters are in his name, but that would clearly give it away. And can I just say that I have a slight attraction to "Detective Fields" ? Because yeah, I kinda do. Only a slight one, though. 
It's still all about Cusack.



No comments:

Post a Comment