Thursday, November 22, 2012

I survived Thanksgiving...

... and I am absolutely shocked. I didn't think I was going to.

We did not do the norm this year. Instead of having lasagna at our house, we went to Hometown Buffet. We (me, my mother, and my brother) did the whole Thanksgiving thing with a few people from my mom's side of the clan. My mother's mother (I won't call her that other name, as she's lost that privilege... maybe I will again, someday) invited us to spend it with her, her boyfriend Anthony, mom's uncle Robert, and mom's uncle Eddie and his wife. Apparently, my mother's brother (I will NEVER call him my uncle) and his daughter (I will NEVER call her my cousin) invited themselves without really asking first. My mother's mother wasn't too thrilled with that, but she'd never tell them not to come. One lives in Arizona and the other lives way down south, btw. THAT was the deal breaker. No way in hell were we going if they were going. We've had many Thanksgivings and Christmas' ruined by my father's side of the family... no more ruined holidays. We're better off staying at home and doing things our way. It's peaceful and drama-free.
Well, after being asked like 5 times, we decided to go. Just because you are among idiots, it doesn't mean you have to associate with them. They're just there in the background. Even though we decided to go, we were still apprehensive, and were expecting massive idiocy. Not only were Beavis and Butt-head going to be there, my mother's brother's son (I will NEVER call him my cousin) was supposed to show up too. Friggin' lovely. Those three individuals barely get along as it is... I don't know why they'd want to show up and publicly embarrass themselves? I got a text this morning saying that Beavis and Butt-head were not coming. ha! I so called that... but I figured they'd cancel yesterday, instead of canceling a few hours before the lunch/dinner. Assholes. Yeah, they're massive flakes, and everyone knows it. Even after making a big stink over the time of the lunch/dinner and lying to get their way to have it changed (a fight in which they lost, btw), they flaked. I was overjoyed. Massively, massively, overjoyed. I wrote a Facebook status this morning, and it started off with "Hallelujah! Praise Jesus!" Yeah. Those people are NOT family. They're relatives. Actually, they're "relatives"... because I don't even classify them as being relatives. They are just people whom I unfortunately share a bloodline with. That's it. Nothing more. I feel the same way about most of the people I share a bloodline with. Harsh, but true. Moving on.
Things went surprisingly well. I am still shocked. No yelling, no fighting. Just people eating a meal and talking. Although I mostly just talked to my brother (and my mother)... it was civil. And we liked it. My mother's mother's relationship with her boyfriend is fairly new. Well, they've been dating for like two years, but only recently started getting "serious"... I guess you could say? And we've just recently started talking to her again... since September, I think? So yeah, it was a little awkward. We've met the boyfriend once? The first meeting was unintentional and was extremely awkward. This time was better. Much, much, better. He is nothing like any man she has ever dated. I'm shocked. Again, I've only met him twice, but I think I might approve. haha! 
Anyway, we got there, and Hometown Buffet was playing Travis Tritt. "Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde"... heck yes! Much like the Roxy Music video on Vh1 Classic this morning, I was convinced that this was a good sign! They had some country music playlist going... songs from about 10 or so years ago? The stuff that I know! But no Keith Urban, Emerson Drive, or Jimmy Wayne :( Everyone was on-time. Smiling. And full of hugs. Apparently, I look like I'm 17? ha. I get that a lot. 17-21, normally. Way off. But I'll take it! A lot of laughing went on too. Who's family is this? They looked like the same people I've seen before... but who are these people? haha! It was just nice. A little awkward, but nice. And I attempted to eat turkey. Yuck! Too chewy. Even the mashed potatoes were a bit of a fail. They were mashed, but still a little lumpy. Man! Praise Jesus for the rolls!! And the corn. And 3 glasses of Dr. Pepper! For the second round of food, I obtained some french fries! French fries on Thanksgiving... going against the grain! Hey, my brother had pizza, french fries, and popcorn shrimp. He walks on the wild side, that boy! ha!
My mother's mother (I know you're loving this!) originally had planned to take the female non-cousin's daughter to the park for her to play and feed the ducks. Well, that went south when they flaked. But she still wanted to go to the park and feed the ducks. Everyone was game except for my brother, and uncle Robert. So we met up about 30 minutes later and fed the ducks. I fed them about 3 pieces of bread, and my ass gave up and ran across the street and stood next to the car. THOSE DUCKS WERE TRYING TO EAT ME!!!! OMG. I think I'm still traumatized from the duck incident that happened when I was like 3? But yeah, those things were chasing me, man. I was screaming like an idiot. "QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! *Let's eat Liz* QUACK!" After the duck nonsense, Anthony said he had a present for all of us. Lottery scratchers... haha! We all got one, with one left over. The first person to win got the one left over. I was the first one to win... 2 whole dollars! Hey, that's $2 I didn't have a minute before I scratched it! On the 2nd scratcher, I almost won $100. I needed 3 matches, and I only had 2 matches. Can't win 'em all. Quack.
Then came the fun part! (I wish there was sarcasm font.) Apparently, they had also intended for us to go for a walk... around the entire park. I wish they would have told us that upfront: I was still wearing my boots. My new boots. I could have changed into some sneakers! Quaaaack! So yeah, my boots will probably fall apart at any minute. Also, I wasn't wearing a hoodie, because I didn't think we'd be there that long, and it wasn't that bad outside when we got to the park. I was wearing a sweater. Maaaaaaan did it get cold. COLD!!! Like, shivering cold. Runny nose cold. Hands/nose turning red, practically bone-chilling cold. It also started to become really foggy. I was given a jacket to wear, but that didn't really help much. I better not get sick... we're FINALLY starting on Poe next week in American Lit. I'm not missing Poe. I'm not. I'd go to class on my death bed. It's serious. I also attempted to slide down a slide... but it was all wet and muddy. Bah! Regardless of everything I just mentioned, I enjoyed the walk. It was peaceful and the scenery was pretty. A lot of the trees had the autumn colors... and the sky was pretty. Blue mixed with rainbow sherbet! But yeah, I think I needed that walk. It was good for the mind and good for the soul.

Since it's "Thanksgiving"... I guess I'll shall list what I am thankful for... this post is long enough, so I'll just list a few things.
  • My family (immediate and my pets, because pets are family!)
  • My friends (old and new!)
  • Life (even though it likes to throw me curve balls all the time... but a simple life would probably be boring.)
  • My health (I seem to be in good health?!)
  • My favorite bands'/artists' music. (Normally, I'd just say 'music'... but I am not thankful for crap like Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, or the Black Eyed Peas etc) And also, all of of my fave musicians/songwriters.
  • The house I live in (no matter how much I dislike it. At least I have a house.)
  • Our car.
  • The people who inspire me.
  • Technology (even if I hate it at times.)
  • My education (a lot of people around the world are not able to go on to higher education).
  • The things that make me smile... even if it's little things.
  • "Farm Kings" (wait, what? ha!) 
  • My blog readers (for both blogs!) 
  • Cute boys in Beatles shirts and plaid shirts? (okay, I'm starting to get silly, I think it's time to stop...)
I know I'm missing some things... but the things I've mentioned above are good enough for now :)

I shall now go back to the "ALF" marathon on The Hub... and jamming to INXS! I might also have a River Phoenix movie fest later... if not tonight, then definitely tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment